Kevin Spacey is paying $9.75 million in his own money to settle a sexual assault lawsuit brought by producer Freddy Herrera. In that suit, Herrera said that Spacey sexually assaulted him at an Nantucket bar in 2016, performing a sex act on him then letting him go to a bar called Gorey’s after telling him he “could not have his money back” for his drinks. In the lawsuit, Herrera, who says he was 32 at the time, also claimed to have had video evidence of Spacey’s assault. Spacey’s attorneys denied the allegations of the suit.
Now, however, he will pay $9.75 million in damages, plus interest. In a statement, Herrera and his lawyer said they “look forward to continuing to work together towards a resolution” regarding the settlement.
While the BBC announced it will end its original two-season run of The Crown, some U.K. broadcaster now seems to be considering axing its Kevin Spacey drama House of Cards. Spacey was written out of the show last year following allegations he had assaulted a busboy in 2016. Now, U.K. broadcaster Sky and the award-winning drama’s creators have shared discussions about extending the series without Spacey.
While further details of the series are unknown, Spacey’s involvement in the drama isn’t really a red herring. He only signed on to appear in the production for 12 episodes, according to U.K. publication The Hollywood Reporter. Since the Netflix show’s third season premiered last year, the show’s Creative Director, Beau Willimon, told Deadline that he wanted the series to wrap with Season 5. But apparently, the show’s executives are now considering looking for new actors to continue with the show after Spacey has completed his abbreviated run.
Meanwhile, Deadline reports that producers and sources are already looking at season two as a possibility, with new actors coming on board. Netflix and the company’s production company, Media Rights Capital, have yet to respond to The Hollywood Reporter’s report.
U.K. broadcaster Channel 4 has pulled a Kevin Spacey documentary following the disgraced actor’s claims that the producer was not in the production of the project.
On Wednesday, Channel 4 announced it was pulling a documentary that was set to air on July 10 called Kevin Spacey: The Lost Tapes, according to the BBC. The documentary, which was originally produced by BuzzFeed News, was intended to reveal “the shocking story of Kevin Spacey’s attempts to hook up with a young man when he was working on the soap opera As the World Turns.”
In March of this year, the Office of U.K. Investigatory Services, U.K.’s independent investigator of alleged offences, also accused the “Two Days in London” director of inappropriate and voyeuristic behaviour towards a 13-year-old boy. The day before the UKTV announcement, The New York Times reported on a new groping claim against Spacey, which a 23-year-old man accused of groping him.
Netflix pulls Kevin Spacey’s newest work amid sexual assault allegations
Report claims Netflix backed out of $9 million deal with Kevin Spacey in light of his sexual assault accusations
Report: Kevin Spacey ‘set up’ cellphone sex with ‘house of Cards’ employee
WATCH: Kevin Spacey claims he was setting up the camera during sexual assault